Fokus Deutsch Textbook Level 2
You Save: $14.00 (20.00%)
Textbook to accompany Fokus Deutsch Video Course Level 2
The three main texts are correlated to the three levels of the video, either VHS tapes or DVDs.
Main texts contain viewing activities, vocabulary activities, grammar explanations and exercises, cultural and historical readings, listening comprehension activities, and reading and writing activities.
PLEASE NOTE: This textbook is keyed to the Fokus Deutsch Level 2 DVDs or Fokus Deutsch Level 2 VHS tapes. The book is not useful without the video.
The Fokus Deutsch DVDs are available only as a set that includes all 3 levels. Each level is not available separately.
The Fokus Deutsch VHS tapes are available in individual levels.
Hardback Book with Audio CD for listening comprehension.
-----------TABLE OF CONTENTS-----------
- Im Klassenzimmer
- Present tense
- Dative pronouns
- Present perfect tense
- Prepositions of location and direction
KAPITEL 13 - DER AZUBI
VIDEOTHEK: Michael now lives in Hamburg and has an apprenticeship with a firm on the harbor. On his first day at work he meets his new boss and coworkers.
- Die Arbeitswelt
- Sind sie wortschau? feminine forms for professions
- Review: nominative, accusative, and dative case: marking subjects and objects
- Review: imperatives: making suggestions and giving
- Kurz notiert: softening imperatives with bitte, doch, and mal
KAPITEL 14 - DER TRICK
VIDEOTHEK : The first officer shows Michael the company’s ship. Suddenly Michael notices the ship is departing, but he doesn't want to go along.
- Review: the present perfect tense: talking about the past
- Kurz notiert: verbs that require sein in the present perfect tense
- Kurz notiert: present perfect tense
KAPITEL 15 - ZU VIEL SALZ
VIDEOTHEK : Michael’s boss invites him over for dinner. Herr Schäfer cooks the meal, but both his wife and daughter think they have to help out with seasoning the food.
- Essen und trinken
- Wo essen wir?
- Review of pronouns: word order: referring to people and things
- Kurz notiert: using wer, wen and wem
- Genitive case: showing relationships and possession
- Sprachspiegel: nouns of possession Kurz notiert: ein-words
KAPITEL 16 - AM WOCHENENDE
VIDEOTHEK: The Schäfer family and their friends, the Cornelius family, go about their typical weekend routines.
- In der Freizeit
- Kulturspiegel: breakfast in German-speaking countries
- Der-words and the expression was für (ein) : pointing out specific persons, places, and things
- Review: two-way prepositions; verbs of direction and location:
expressing direction and location
KAPITEL 17 - NACH THÜRINGEN
VIDEOTHEK: The Cornelius family members go about their morning routine, eating breakfast and getting to work, as they ponder Mr. Cornelius' job transfer and a possible move to Thuringia.
- Die Bundesrepublik Deutschland
- Kulturspiegel: citystates
- Sagen, Feste, Bräuche
- Kulturspiegel: harvest festivals
- Sind Sie wortschlau?: words for autumn
- Future tense with werden: talking about the future
- Kurz notiert: word order in dependent clauses
- Sprachspiegel Adjectives: describing people, objects, and places Kurz notiert: predicate adjectives
KAPITEL 18 - DIE LÖSUNG
VIDEOTHEK: The Cornelius family decides that Herr Cornelius will commute to work in Thuringia during the week, but come back home to Hamburg on the weekends.
- Die Wende
- Kulturspiegel: reunification
- Kulturspiegel: states, provinces, and cantons
- Kurz notiert: der/die Deutsche
- Genitive prepositions: expressing cause, opposition,
alternatives, and simultaneity
- Kurz notiert: dative case in conversation
- Negation with nicht, kein, noch nicht, noch kein, nicht mehr, and kein…mehr: negating words, expressions, and statements
- Kurz notiert: negating questions and statements
WIEDERHOLUNG 6 KAPITEL 19 - DER SPAGHETTI-PROFESSOR
VIDEOTHEK: Klara Cornelius is a student at the University of Munich. She wants to register for a practicum but discovers there is no room in the course.
- Das Leben an der Uni
- Fokus Internet: university
- Kulturspiegel: the euro
- Kurz notiert: stating quantity
- Reflexive verbs and pronouns: doing something for oneself
- Comparatives and superlatives: comparing things and people Kurz notiert: so…wie
- Sprachspiegel: vowel change in the comparative and superlative
KAPITEL 20 - DER UMWELTSÜNDER
VIDEOTHEK: Markus is showing Klara his favorite childhood spot in the woods, when they suddenly spy someone throwing trash down the hill.
- Probleme der modernen Gesellschaft
- Kulturspiegel: unemployment after reunification
- Kulturspiegel: citizenship laws in Germany
- The subjunctive: making polite requests and giving advice
- Kurz notiert: können, müssen, sollen, and wollen
- Relative clauses: describing people or things Kurz notiert: forms of relative pronouns
- Kurz notiert: relative clauses with prepositions
KAPITEL 21 - DIE FALSCHEN KLAMOTTEN
VIDEOTHEK: Thomas’ cousin Laura Stumpf visits and wants to go to the disco, but Thomas can't get in because the clothes he is wearing are "out."
- Kleidung und Mode
- Medien, Werbung, Fernsehen
- Passive voice I: focusing on the effect of the action
- Kurz notiert: subject and agent in a passive sentence
- Passive voice II: alternatives to the passive: expressing general activities and states
KAPITEL 22 - EIN NEUES GEMÄLDE
VIDEOTHEK: At a flea market, the Stumpfs buy a painting for their living room. The Stumpfs get excited when an art restorer says it is valuable.
- In der Innenstadt
- Nach dem Weg fragen
- The simple past tense: narrating events in the past
- Kurz notiert: simple past of bringen, denken, and kennen
- Kurz notiert: verbs commonly used in the simple past
- The subordinating conjunctions als, wenn, wann: combining
- Sprachspiegel: als and as
- Kurz notiert: als in the comparison of adjectives
KAPITEL 23 - DER HAUSMANN
VIDEOTHEK: Heiner Sander is on parental leave to take care of his son Kai. When he wants to play soccer with friends and his wife Roswita hasn’t come home from work yet, he takes the baby along.
- Gleichberechtigung in der Familie
- The subjunctive: expressing unreal situations and wishes
- Kurz notiert: the expression an (deiner) Stelle
- Past subjunctive: expressing what might have been
- Kurz notiert: the past subjunctive
KAPITEL 24 - DAS AU PAIR
VIDEOTHEK: The Sanders go to the airport to pick up their new au pair, Inéz, when she arrives from Mexico. She faces the challenge of adjusting to life in Germany.
- In Deutschland ist es anders
- The past perfect: talking about a sequence of events in the past
- Infinitive clauses with zu: describing actions, states, or conditions