Pimsleur Mandarin Chinese 5 CDs
You Save: $172.50 (50.00%)
Includes 30 lessons plus Hanyu Pinyin Reading instruction on 16 CDs (15 hrs 45 minutes), plus Reading Booklet and User's Guide.
Pimsleur’s Chinese (Mandarin) Level 5, designed to be taken after Level 4, builds upon skills taught in Pimsleur's Chinese (Mandarin) Levels 1-4. The thirty 30-minute lessons, plus the Hanyu Pinyin reading practice, will enable you to speak and understand Mandarin with near fluency and with a broad range of conversational skills.
In Level 5 the pace and conversation moves quite rapidly, accelerating exposure to new vocabulary and structures, approaching native speed and comprehension. You'll learn to speak more in-depth about your personal life and emotional state, and be able to create complex sentences using a mix of tenses and moods.
Some of the topics covered in Pimsleur’s Chinese (Mandarin) Level 5:
- Travel: exploring the vast and richly varied country of China, discussing the various ethnic groups and cultures found from region to region, buying tickets to tourist attractions, taking family vacations, speaking with a travel agent
- Food and drink: restaurants, street vendors, favorite dishes, delicious drinks, discussing differences between Chinese and American diets.
- History: learning about important people and places, uncovering famous popular locations, discovering China's ancient past
- The environment: weather, climate change, environmental protection, wetlands
- Communication: getting in touch, sending text messages
- Work: discussing meetings, modern jobs, attending conferences, giving speeches
- Family life and relationships: family traditions, children and grandchildren, extended family members, birthdays, retirement, pets, grandparents and family history
- Health and wellness: exercising, relaxing, visiting a Chinese medical doctor, taking Chinese medicine, paying attention to one's vitality
Reading Lessons are included at the end of Lesson 30. These lessons are designed to teach you to read Hanyu Pinyin (pinyin for short) the official phonetic system for transcribing pronunciations of Chinese characters into a Latin alphabet. Totaling one hour 15 minutes, the lessons will teach you to sound out written words with correct pronunciation and accent. A Reading Booklet to be used with the audio lessons is included in PDF format.